| Campaign for Women's Day Bic Ad #HappyWomensDay |
It's March 8th! Happy Women's day! I've always been proud to be a woman, and recently I came across an advertisement that took away my mood to celebrate. Today we showcase our achievements in both history and our rights but Bic, a company that deals heavily on the supply of stationery... basically pens... sent us a not so special greeting on our day. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the gesture but they can’t be serious. It’s our day and instead of a kind message, we receive a list of demands to fulfill, let's take a look.
Looking Like a Girl?
Look like a girl, what exactly is this supposed to mean? Do they want us to look young, fresh and innocent just like kids? This is ridiculous, every woman is different and unique in their own way. I don’t need to look innocent or untouched. I do not need to wear pink and spend plenty money on clothes. I do not need to wear makeup if I don’t feel like it. I should look however I want to look like, I should be able to express my emotions and true self through my appearance. I don’t want to be labelled and I don’t want to have to change myself and my appearance to fit in with society and the commodities I will get if I look a certain way (does anyone?) I won’t ever understand why and when ‘look like a girl’ become such a derogatory term. I don’t accept that to do things “like a girl” means to be weak, clumsy, fragile. We women can turn things around and change the meaning of “like a girl” to strength. We, women are powerful and knowledgeable and should be proud to be ourselves, rather than feel below and weakened because of the expectations some in the world have on us.
Acting Like a Lady?
The message also tells me to ‘Act like a lady’. Once again, I don’t understand the meaning of this. We are all people regardless of ages, color or gender, and all of us should be able to act in respectful way and carry ourselves with confidence. We should all have the basic manners. I don’t see why this statement only points out to us women? Do we have to act a certain way to fit in with what men want and expect from us? I have hopes and I have dreams just like them, but they are not told how to act. They don’t need to have their back straight, legs crossed or stray away from swearing, they don’t have to always act in poised and elegant manner. Of course, I am not saying this isn’t important but isn’t it more important to have self respect, values, integrity, wisdom and inner strength? We should not just be defined from the way we look outside, our qualities are what truly makes us strong and special.
Thinking Like a Man?
When I read the line Think like a man I asked myself: are we back to the old stereotypical thoughts that men are smarter and more stable while women take on the more emotional role? I do admit we are physically different, but it doesn’t mean that emotionally and intellectually we are not capable of the same things. I am a women, I study hard, I attend university and write my blog but I can also be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer if I want to. I can do these and much more thinking for myself, by thinking like the woman I am. As a woman I have the same capabilities, intelligence and discipline to get things done than a man. I don’t need to think like a man, I’m strong and independent enough to think like myself . We all come from the same place, and we didn’t have the choice to be a woman or a man therefore we should be proud of who we are regardless of our genders. Let's stop thinking that men think with their brains and women think with their hearts. We all have our strengths and special traits, we all have unique thoughts and ideas, and these qualities are the ones that contribute to a better World, regardless of gender.
Working Like a Boss?
Lastly, the greeting demands us to work like a boss. I can finally relate to something in this message. I'm sure we all appreciate that they didn’t put us down on every aspect. We are women and we can think like a boss, act like a boss and definitely, and have the ethics to work like a very good, successful boss. We just, like men, can work to a full potential and be our own boss.
So a message to certain men: please stop these continuous demands, and do not tell us how to do certain things. Women should be free to do whatever they want, and should be free to be who they want to be. Whether it’s work or stay at home, we should be able to act like a woman, look like a woman, think like a woman, work as a woman. We just like men can make our own choices.
This is our day, and we have come a long way. Now we are more independent, we are more self-sufficient and we are more in control. We don’t need anybody to tell us how to act, think, look, or work, because we know it is better to be our authentic selves. We don’t have to fit in a mold or fit the stereotypes. Rather, we should be defining them because WE women ARE EQUAL to men. So, let’s keep on growing, achieving, improving and being ourselves. To all the women out there happy women's day.
Leave your comments below telling me how you feel about this advertisement. Does it make you angry or are you not bothered? Let me Know!
(997 Words)
0 comments:
Post a Comment